Monday, October 11, 2010

It's called flip-flopping, according to Property Ladder

Should I be surprised that more stuff is broken, or that things are even worse than anticipated? At this point I'd like to say the element of surprise is gone, yet, seems like it still shocks the heck out of me. Yesterday the back fence gate fell off the fence. The post is completely rotted out and the gate just literally fell off. Great. This morning our contractors started repairs in our living room and upon opening up the wall found, yet, another unsuspecting surprise.....not one, but two rotted out studs. Yep, rotted completely through from the ceiling to the floor. They fell apart when tapped with a hammer. That would be several years of continuous water leaks that would cause those bad boys to disintegrate like that. Feeling sick to my stomach. I suppose the good thing is that the innerds of the wall are repaired and the sheetrock is back up and mudded and taped (is that how you would say it in past tense?). The bad part is that the drywallers did something to my DirecTV wires so we have no TV until DTV can get out here on Wednesday to fix the problem (hello Hulu...please have my shows up promptly). The good part is that my two broken outdoor outlets (redundant) are no longer broken which means I can put up my orange Halloween lights around my front door now and they can light up...and Mike can plug the weed eater in out back without running an extension cord through the house.

Mike thinks our house is a lemon. Ella is worried it is going to fall down. Owen is indifferent. I just say the people before us had no clue how to take care of a house....that they neglected everything, patch fixed what they could, and covered up things and hoped it would not backfire. Once we clean up their mess (hopefully at their expense) we will take care of things the way they should be and this house will love us more than any homeowner before. Can't wait to get to that point....hopefully it's soon. Not sure my stomach can handle many more U-Turns.

4 comments:

  1. It is absolutely atrocious that the previous homeowners willfully neglected to disclose all these issues - they HAD to have been aware of them! I say go after them for all you can, even if it means litigation. It's not fair that they can just walk away from their responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO feeling you! We just rent a townhouse and it seemed like a week after we got here EVERYTHING broke! I was like HOW did the people before us LIVE here?! The dishwasher was so full of crud the water backed out and sprayed all over the kitchen, the dryer went out, the shower in the bathroom sprayed all over the wall, also a leak in the kids bathroom. I just don't get how people can completely trash a place! Good luck with everything, I hope it gets to a good place VERY soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so CRAPPY! I'm sorry you are having to deal with this in a "new" house! I agree with Vickie -- the prior owners should be held responsible since they didn't disclose that info. :-( I'm so sorry! Hang in there; it's gonna get better! :-) You're in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds like this house has been quite the challenge. Feel like Money Pit? have you seen that movie? Probably not a good time for it now. WAit till your house is better. I'm sending happy house thoughts your way. May the repairs come swiftly and inexpensively.

    ReplyDelete