Thursday, February 10, 2011

Oh no, Snow. We're Closed!

Of all the years we lived in Utah never did a day "close" because of weather. There were some real humdingers as far as snow storms were concerned, yet, people still had to go to work, kids still had to go to school, and life continued on through it. Although there are snow plows, and salt and gravel trucks galore, I still remember many a day driving too of from work with white knuckles....praying I would not get stuck, or my car would not start sliding. I also recall many a morning driving the girls to school and being thankful that I needed only pull up and let them out, lest I would need to get out in that weather! Fast forward to present day. Texas. Yes, Texas. They do not do snow or ice or plows or salt here. Not at all. Just the slightest threat of either and they shut things down. To date....and in the past 10 days....we've had a total of 5 school cancellations. That means that Mike is home and the kids are home. And by home, I mean, stuck at home. Literally, when there is ice and snow and no way to clear it, the roads become sudden death. It's quite scary. Who am I to complain. This year, so far, it's been kinda nice to have unexpected days off to spend at home, however, when the school year gets extended so we can make up those days I'm sure no one will be quite as happy. All I know it I've never known how much I hated the freezing cold and snow until it hit Texas. The is a big difference between 19 degrees in Texas and 19 degrees in Utah. I will take Utah's 19 degrees any day over Texas'. Apparently this is the worst winter that Texas has seen in decades. The most school has been closed that anyone around here recalls is two days total...and not in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment